Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The Future of Media

I am not trying to be the feminist that want equal everything for men and women; I just want to see media's effects on girls be more of a positive one.
In two of my classes we are talking about different aspects of media and how they affect the public. One class particularly,we have talked about different representation of genders and races. Women are shown to represent only 7% of the population when in reality we represent 52%.

The other my professor was talking about how we are the future of media. This was after a discussion of how what is seen in advertising can be harming to a young girls mind and perception. She said that we can change media. But someone brought up how it has been the same way for so long that can we really change it without being rejected by our peers. It was at this point I thought, "I am going to change media no matter what the criticism from those around me is."

The next day after this goal I set for myself, I was sitting in my Script Writing class reading scripts from my classmates. It was then that it occurred to me that we were not doing what we wanted to to change media. The majority of the casts were male dominated. There was only one that was dominated by a female. The strange thing is that the class has more females in it than males. I was furious when I realized this because I was one who fell into the rut of media.

So this is the question, do we, as the future of media, really want to see a change or have we seen so much of what media is that we are too ingrained to change what it is?

Disclaimer: I am not trying to be the feminist that want equal everything for men and women; I just want to see media's effects on girls be more of a positive one.

0 Comments: