Saturday, May 26, 2007

The "Real World"

School is out for the summer!!
Now the question is what to do over the summer. There is so much to do here that I do not know where to start. I am cutting back on my hours from work hoping to enjoy my last free summer before the "real world." This leads me to my next question. What is the "real world?"
A lot of people I know have said to not wish away college. They said that after college all there is is work. My question to them is what about work now? As college students we have to work to pay for college, our cars, gas, car insurance and much more. Many college students have at least one part time job (Part time being anything under 40 hours a week) as well as taking 18 credit hours at school. Colleges suggest two hours of study per credit hour a week. So lets add this up. 18 x 2 = 36 + 40 = 76. Before sleep we are at 76 hours a week. That leaves us with 92 hous left in a week. If you factor in driving time, we will use mine for this, which is 30 minutes each way to school. 76 + 7 = 83. The amount of sleep needed for a person to function does vary, but let's use the recommended 8 hours a night. 8 x 7 days = 56 hours. That now puts us at 139 used hours a week. So the amount of time left to spend relaxing and being with friends and family is 29 hours. Feel free to add in time spent at places where you would volunteer or where you go to church as well as time spent eating and showering. In the end there is very little time left.

Now let's look at after college life. (Okay, I am still in college so I cannot give a 100% accurate analysis of time but I will try). If we keep everything the same but take out the class and study hours we are left with 103 hours of time spent doing something. So now we have 65 hours to volunteer, go to church, eat and shower. Looks like a little bit more free time.

I can see why people wish to be out of college and be in the "real world." If someone can finish college I think the "real world," time wise, will be easier. Granted in the "real world" you have to pay your own way.

0 Comments: