Saturday, August 2, 2008

Today's Path: Life lived backwards?

Earlier this week a friend sent me an email entitled "A different perspective on life." It went like this:

I want to live my next life backwards...
You start out dead and get that out of the way...
Then you wake up in a nursing home feeling better every day...
Then you get kicked out for being too healthy...
Enjoy your retirement and collect your pension...
Then when you start work and you get a gold watch on your first day

You work 40 years until you're too young to work....
You get ready for High School: party...
Then you go to primary school you become a kid, you play, and you have no responsibilities.
Then you become a baby, and then...
You spend your last 9 months floating peacefully in luxury, in Spa-like conditions - central heating, room service on tap...

I rest my case...

At first I was seeing how that could be an interesting concept, but then I realized something. For your entire life you would have the knowledge you did when you died. I don't want to be 5 and worrying if there are people in my community who don't have a job or money for food.

There is a saying that goes:
The more you know, the worse off you are.
When I was younger I didn't know a lot of things that I do now even though I wanted to. Looking back I'm glad I didn't. Recess was meant to have fun and not to contemplate the meaning of life or world peace.

What do you think? Do think life truly would be better lived backwards? Think about and share your thoughts below.

Rock on,
Lane J

0 Comments: