Thursday, July 9, 2009

Life is like Interval Training

As a runner, I have several different types of runs. There's the long run, the short run, the speed workout, and interval training. Lately, I've been focusing on the short run because I've been lazy. That's beside the point though.

During interval training, you pick a distance, usually a 1/4 mile, and you run that as fast as you can. Once you run the 1/4 mile, you recover for a few seconds, catch your breathe and repeat. The point of interval training is to improve your endurance.

Life works the same. You work 5 days a week doing the same thing week after week with no recovery. Yes, I know there's weekends for that. But what did you do last weekend, and the weekend before and the weekend before that? Chances are you did the same thing.

Even if you're not going as fast as you can week after week, you get tired. And you will at some point need a recovery.

Hello Vacation!!!

I've been working full time for a little over a year now. I take off on holidays. On Christmas and Thanksgiving I went home to visit but just long enough for the holiday.

This past weekend I went home and spent 5 days in St. Louis. 5 days? I know it doesn't seem like a lot. But when you keep yourself busy in things other than sitting around the house it makes for a very refreshing time.

Remember even the best need a time to recover! Take a weekend and go somewhere fun!

~Lane

0 Comments: