Friday, November 20, 2009

Where are the two missing sides of the HighEdWeb Keynote situation?

Last week, over a month after the event, The Chronicle came out with an article about the David Galper Keynote from the HighEdWeb Conference in Milwaukee. After about forty comments, The Chronicle posted a follow-up article. Comments on both articles represented two sides of the situation, those who attended the conference and those who didn't.

Those who did not attend the keynote took the stance the Twitter Back Channel virtually "lynched" Galper, and the Tweeters like "hyenas" wanting blood. For the attendees, they reasoned what happened and attempted to give their side of the situation. But there are two perspectives of this story that have yet to be shown, the perspective of the HighEdWeb Association and the perspective of Galper himself.

The past five or so days, I have tried to contact Galper through everything short of calling him. I'm not one to just cold call someone, especially in this situation where I was in attendance at this particular keynote. I reached out to him via LinkedIn,

Hi David, I attended a conference you spoke at this year and would like to speak with you further about it. Please add me to your network.
I have yet to hear back from him. I disclosed the fact that I was in attendance at a presentation he gave because I did not want him to feel as if this was a bait and switch or that I was trying to harass him.

After doing some more searching, I went to the HighEdWeb site to see if his presentation was available there because he put all of his contact information on his last slide. It was not. I was informed by a HighEdWeb representative that the keynote presentations are the intellectual property of the presenter and they were not asked to let the association put it online.

Okay so what to do next? I asked for his email. No one on Twitter seemed to have it. So I asked HighEdWeb and was informed they would not give it out because they were trying to do what's right from the association perspective.

I have yet to ask anyone one from the HighEdWeb Committee for their opinion on this. After a few direct messages on Twitter with a couple, I'm not sure they would really have much to say on it, in the interest of the association.

Update: I missed this post. It does give some insight to the HighEdWeb perspective.

So will we ever see these two missing perspectives? I would enjoying hearing what they have to say. I think it would make this conversation come full circle.

1 Comment:

Anne said...

Well, Colleen did post a response in the HighEdWeb blog, though it was certainly general.