Monday, June 11, 2007

Service that can Change a Life

After taking my pen pal to work the other day, I stopped by the Bread Co. for breakfast. I went in armed with my iPod to have a little “me” time. I was planning on going in getting my ice tea and bagel and then sitting in the corner trying to relax away from reality for a few moments before work.
What happened next impacted the rest of my day.
I walked in, thinking it was going to be like any other restaurant, you walk in, order, sit down eat and not really have very much interaction with anyone, but it was different.
Once I walked in, the lady behind the counter greeted me with a huge smile and a peppy “Good Morning. I can take your order when your are ready.” So I placed my order, and she handed me my cup and said to meet her back at the counter after I had my tea to get my bagel. To my surprise, when I was sweetening my tea, she brought my bagel to me to save me the trip to the other side of the restaurant. I couldn’t believe someone would take the time at 9 o’clock in the morning to do that.
I work at a public service facility where you are suppose to be greeted with a smile and a warm hello, but, honestly, I have never felt the warmth that I did that morning at the Bread Co.
Instead of sinking out of reality with my iPod, like I was planning, I sat there wondering how I could bring warmth into someone’s day like the lady had to mine. I wish I would have caught her name, but I didn’t.
If you are having a down day or week, go to the Bread Co. on Hwy K Wednesday morning around 9 A.M.
Remember that a smile and a warm greeting can change the day of someone and possibly even a week, month, year or life.

0 Comments: