Monday, July 7, 2008

Today's Path: Decluttering your office and life

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." ~Joseph Campbell
Today was a day of clutter cleaning. From what I hear, every July in service at work is a cleaning day. It was like a very late spring cleaning. Many people went and cleaned their desks and tidied their lockers, but I do what we call hoteling. I don't technically have a space to call mine except what is my space on the server.

So as everyone else went about their decluttering, I went about thinking. (I know, I know, it is a very scary thing when I think.) I was thinking about what I could declutter. What better thing to declutter than life itself.

Life can be crazy sometimes because of things that hold a sentimental value that we keep that have no other use beside reminding us they once had a use. Whether it be an item or a relationship we keep trying to revive because we don't want to let go of remembering what it once meant. Letting go of the clutter lets go of the energy associated with it. And clutter carries only negative energy.

The opening quote was emailed to me last week in a daily email I get from Kim and Jason, The Kim and Jason Insider. (By the way if you do not get their email, SIGN-UP for it today!) It makes me think about how many people are to worried about making their life their way that they don't remember the universe already has a life planned for them.

I'm not saying to quite making plans for your future, but to be willing to change your path when the entire universe had built the enormous sign in front of you which you keep ignoring. It's like in the movies and old cartoons where there is the huge road ends sign that the character keeps ignoring completely.

So what in your life can you declutter? Is it the physical objects sitting in your house? Is it a relationship that you know isn't going anywhere but still wish to hold onto it because you don't want to miss the times that were good? How much space can you make for positive energy?

Go forth, rock out and Declutter your life,
~Lane J

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lane! Thanks for the shout out!

Cool commentary on that quote -- it's always important to pay attention to the road signs ;)

Nic said...

Powerful blog, definitely food for thought. I have been brave enough to do the life declutter a few times, but it's a huge wrench.

Thanks for an interesting read